Yarmouth CAN (Yarmouth Cares About Neighbors) assesses local resources, connects resources with people who need them, and works to fill the gaps.
Yarmouth CAN is an independent not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization run by citizen volunteers. YCAN works to strengthen the community and meet community needs by connecting available resources with the people who need them.
The organization was founded in late 2008 by concerned citizens in Yarmouth, Maine, with Julia Martin as its founding President. Its mission is to create a sustainable community organization that promotes the connection of resources with people who need them.
Yarmouth CAN seeks to fulfill its mission through activities such as:
- Providing a forum to identify and assess needs.
- Providing a forum for providers of social services to meet and coordinate efforts.
- Compiling a directory of available resources, and providing information about the availability of organizations that provide social services and assisting in meeting other human needs.
- Identifying member components of the community who have needs that are not being met by, or do not have access to existing needs.
- Facilitating the development of programs designed to address identified needs.
- Referring and assisting individuals in accessing organizations that may be able to provide needed services.
- Coordinating the provision of services or assistance and, where appropriate, by directly providing services or assistance to community members in need.
- Providing volunteer opportunities for community members to support and participate in activities to benefit the Yarmouth Community and its members.
Action Highlights to Date
- Community forums have been held to get citizen input on community needs.
- Subcommittees have been formed to address issues of food support, senior needs, holiday gifts, and event planning.
- The first edition of the Resource Guide has been published.
- A community event in March 2010 “Band Together for Food and Fuel” offered music and activities on Town Green to raise awareness and funds for food and fuel support.
- Ongoing telephone answering and referral service are available for those seeking assistance.
Board of Directors
Yarmouth CAN is always seeking new or future Board members. Please contact us if you are interested in joining!